SUKHDI - A quick and fudgy Wheat Delight
Sukhdi aka Gurpapdi, a delicacy from Gujarat state is made of Wheat flour, jaggery and ghee. It is served on festive occasion and during weddings. This recipe was totally new to me and what impressed me is a promising delight with very minimal ingredients and and an even lesser preparation time. Precisely, Simple and Straightforward. The recipe source is from Sapana Bhel. Thank you Sapana.
There are very few sweet recipes that come together in a jiffy and this one happened like lightning. If you carefully follow the steps you will end up getting melt in mouth fudgy yet firm burfis. I have almost quartered the recipe as this was my first trial. So, the cooking time was minimized considerably. It yielded me 8 logs that resembled Short-breads in thickness and length. Here goes the recipe
Also check out
Preparation Time: 2 min
Cooking Time: 5 min
Level: Very easy
Makes : 8 logs
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 8 g||12 %|
|Saturated Fat 5 g||23 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 0 mg||0 %|
|Potassium 54 mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 15 g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2 g||6 %|
|Sugars 3 g|
|Protein 2 g||4 %|
|Vitamin A||6 %|
|Vitamin C||0 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 1 cup Wheat flour
- 1/4 cup grated Jaggery + 1 tbsp
- 1/4 cup Ghee +1 tbsp
- Grease a plate with ghee and set aside.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan or vessel, dry roast roast the wheat flour on low flame until a nice aroma wafts. The lesser the quantity, the quicker it roasts.
- Once done, Start adding ghee to completely soak the wheat flour to form a thick paste without lumps. Add more ghee if desired. Once it comes together, turn off the heat and transfer it to your work table.
- Add the grated jaggery and mix well to incorporate. Quickly transfer this mixture to the greased plate and allow it to set. Should take 2 -3 minutes.
- Cut into logs or to any desired shape and serve.
- Wheat flour burfis may turn hard if you cook it even a minute longer than the required time.
- The hardening process also depends on your burner's intensity. Be watchful.