HONEYDEW MELON AND BANANA BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE BOWL - Power Breakfast for the Early Birds
How about having some Dessert for breakfast? I am not joking. I am damn serious. If you are really bold to experiment, then this recipe is for you.
Smoothie bowls have created a healthy revolution in Breakfast concepts. Easy to make, spoonful of goodness with fresh produce makes it the most wanted treat. So...What sets Smoothie bowl apart from a regular Breakfast cereal bowl?
All Smoothie bowls have a Pudding or rather Soft serve Ice-cream like consistency when frozen pulpy fruits like Banana, Avocado or Mangoes are blended with dairy/dairy free milk, juicy fruits of choice and topped with nuts and seeds for extra texture. That explains. It is almost like eating 'Dessert' for breakfast. These additions make it highly palatable with a good addition of plant phytosterols from fruits. The recipe has further evolved by the addition of vegetables like Carrot, Beets, Sweet potatoes and greens like Spinach . The whole idea is to keep the breakfast low in added sugar and replacing it with all natural sugars (Fructose) from fruits, Dry fruits, Honey, Agave etc. The dairy can also be replaced with other vegan sources like Coconut, Soy, Oat, Almond and Cashew.
Smoothie bowls are are the best option for people who look for healthy (and quick) breakfast alternatives. This make ahead breakfast can turn into a well planned cyclic menu. It is a fun activity for singles, couples or for a big group. All you need to do is......
"Mise en place"
- Plan your grocery shopping over the weekend.
- Purchase fruits, vegetables, dairy/ non dairy, nuts and seeds of choice (Adjust according to the number of persons)
- Purchase Ziploc bags, small or large enough to hold the chunks of fruits.
- Wash clean, peel and chop fruits of choice.
- You can group your favourite combination.
- Push them (combinations) into individual Ziploc bags, seal and lay them flat in your freezer surface until use. (This prevents them from clumping together and enables you to separate what you want - personal experience)
- You can even go one step further and mark the bags Monday to Friday. Use stick-ons to write down your combinations and stick it on the Ziploc. This makes busy mornings easier and also helps you rotate ingredients.
- Segregate nuts, seeds and other toppings in individual containers and mark them as well.
- If possible, invest in a good blender with real sharp blades. If using a regular mixer, then chop the fruits and vegetables to smaller pieces and then blend. This minimizes any extra load to your mixer.
All set?......... Get your creative juices flowing, try out all possible combinations and forget not to leave your feedback with me. I am eager to know how it went.
Now...Scroll down for my recipe
Now...Scroll down for my recipe
Freezing time: Overnight or until use
Preparation Time: 5 min
Category: Breakfast, Dessert
Level: Very easy
Source : The Almond Eater
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 6 g||9 %|
|Saturated Fat 2 g||9 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 47 mg||2 %|
|Potassium 409 mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 42 g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5 g||20 %|
|Sugars 31 g|
|Protein 4 g||9 %|
|Vitamin A||3 %|
|Vitamin C||37 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 2 bananas (sliced to coins and frozen)
- 2 slices Honeydew Melon ( chopped and frozen)
- 1/4 cup trim coconut milk
- 2 tsp Honey
- 12-15 Almonds
- 12-15 Blueberries
- 1 tsp Chia seeds
- 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut for topping
- Blend the milk, frozen Banana, Honeydew Melon into a smooth paste. Always place the liquid at the bottom. This quickens the process. Scrape down the sides from time to time for even blending.
- Once done it will be very close to soft Italian ice cream- smooth texture and a bit runny.
- Transfer to your breakfast bowl. Drizzle honey, top up with grated coconut, Almonds, Blueberries, Chia seeds and enjoy.