VEGAN AVOCADO - CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
Both Chocolates and Avocados are sought after for their health benefits. Combining these two can result in an aura of healthy eating and that is what I created, precisely. Chocolates are for an antioxidant kick and Avocados for its Vitamin and good fat content (Note that these are the only fruits that offer a good serving of Monounsaturated fatty acids).No whipping cream, No condensed milk, No refined sugar. Instead, I went about adding Maple syrup for its low calorie count as opposed to Honey and that makes it Vegan. It is also an excellent make ahead dessert that can be blend in no time.
Every spoonful was truly blissful. You must make it to believe it. Go on now.....
Preparation time: 5 min
Chilling time: 2 hrs
Difficulty level: Very easy
Spice Level: Sweet
Source: Loosely adapted from here
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 16 g||25 %|
|Saturated Fat 4 g||19 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 105 mg||4 %|
|Potassium 609 mg||17 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 33 g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 8 g||33 %|
|Sugars 21 g|
|Protein 3 g||6 %|
|Vitamin A||3 %|
|Vitamin C||16 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 2 Large Avocados
- 2-3 tbsp Cocoa Powder ( I used Dutch processed)
- 5 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Coffee extract (I used some filter coffee extract)
- 1 tsp Cold pressed coconut oil
- 2 tsp pure Vanilla extract
- 2 pinches of salt
- Cut and separate the Avacado pulp and seed.
- Chop the pulp roughly and place into a blender or food processor along with all the other ingredients and grind until it is smooth and fluffy like whipped cream.
- Transfer to serving glasses immediately or refrigerate for 2 hrs and then serve.
- I have used a Ziploc bag to pipe out the contents. For that professional look transfer the mixture into piping bags fitted with your nozzle of choice and gently squeeze to make pretty patterns.Keep chilled until ready to be served.
- Add chopped fruits like strawberries,raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, Kiwis or mixed berries.
- Dust the top with cocoa powder and garnish with shaved dark or milk chocolate.
- Top up with toasted, crushed pistachios or walnuts or mixed nuts.
- The addition of coffee extract is totally optional. I did so because I have a liking for subtle bitter taste.
- You can also replace one Avocado in this recipe with a ripe Banana. It works well.