BURST CHERRY TOMATO SAUCE - AN EDIBLE GIFT FOR THE HOLIDAY SEASON
It is Yuletide time now. Despite much of candy feelings around, I thought of a non-candy recipe for the season, yet a rouge one. For those pasta lovers, this would be an easy prep to enjoy. Instead of the wild berries for the Christmas decoration, I came across these cute little cheery tomato berries that prompted me to have them ready for myself, and so they are, for you too.
Read ahead...and have a spoon for yourself. This is a good Christmas token gift, indeed. :)
Preparation time:5 min
Cooking time: 15 -20 min
Spice level: Moderate
Difficulty level: Easy
Yields: 800 gm approximate
Source: adapted from here
Servings : 8-10
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 6 g||10 %|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||4 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 297 mg||12 %|
|Potassium 290 mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 7 g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2 g||7 %|
|Sugars 4 g|
|Protein 2 g||3 %|
|Vitamin A||15 %|
|Vitamin C||50 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 650 gm Cherry tomatoes
- 1 big Pimneto
- 1/4 -1/2 cup olive oil
- 5-6 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tsp red chilli powder ( adjust according to taste and pungency)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vinegar ( use if storing for a while)
- 1 cup freshly chopped basil or 1 tbsp dry mixed herbs or oregano
- Salt to taste
- Wash, clean and pat dry tomatoes and pimento. De-seed and fine chop the pimento.
- Heat olive oil in a wide pan. When hot, throw in crushed garlic. When a nice aroma wafts, add in the chopped pimento and saute. Let it get coated in oil and cook for few minutes.
- Next add the whole cherry tomatoes,salt and mix well. Let it burst and cook in its own juice until it becomes squishy, soft and saucy.
- Add ground pepper, chilli powder and sugar and let it simmer for few more minutes.
- Add mixed herbs or herb of choice and cook until the whole mixture thickens to a saucy yet drop consistency. Add vinegar and turn the heat off.
- Let it cool thoroughly. Use it right away to make your favourite pasta or transfer into sterilized ,dry bottles and secure with the lid and stick labels on to gift it for friends and loved ones.
- Refrigerate if using later and use within 10 days for best aroma and taste.
- Instead of plain olive oil, you could also use infused oils like garlic or cayenne. Change spice measurements accordingly.
- The choice of herbs is totally personal. Use fresh or dried herbs based on whatever can be sourced locally.