Kitchen Tips / Health Tips
I will be updating this space every now and then.Got a tip handy? Let the world know. Mail your tips and ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To give instant sharpness to your mixer jar blades, add a fistful of rock salt or coarse sugar and pulse it few times. Transfer the powder and wipe dry.
- Ensure to wash, wipe and dry knives immediately after use as moisture tends to make the knives blunt very soon. Remember that blunt knives injures more.
- To peel shallots and garlic quickly, place them in the freezer compartment for 15 mins and then peel. You could also place them under hot sun for 10 mins. It peels faster.
- While pressure cooking dhal (any variety) , add 1/2 tsp of castor oil along with turmeric powder. This helps remove the anti nutritional factors ( gas producing) from it and improves digestion and assimilation.
- To remove stains from your plastic chopping board, apply white vinegar all over the darkened surface. Leave it on for 30 min and scrub with a metal brush. I generally avoid using the white coloured plastic boards for vegetables that cause a strong stain. I use a metal board instead.
- To remove odour from your microwave oven, squeeze out juice of a lemon into water in a microwave safe bowl. Also add the peel into the water. Microwave this solution for 5 min in 3 intervals. This is the best deodorizer. Alternately, you can also use orange peels.
- Do not throw away tooth brushes that you find in complementary kits at hotels. You can use them to clean tough corners in your kitchen counter, greasy pans, wet grinder and kitchen sink.
- To keep your refrigerator fragrant free keep a piece of charcoal inside. Charcoal helps to absorb any circulating odour.
- Detox for detox : Always soak vegetables and fruits in a bowl of water mixed with 1/4 tsp turmeric and a fistful of rock or table salt. Rub well and leave it for 10 mins and then wash well in running water. This process removes considerable amount of surface micro organisms and pesticide residue. This is compulsory for everyone and mandatory for pregnant and lactating women.
- Never combine calcium and iron rich foods together as calcium and iron are antagonist to each other. Always maintain a two hour gap between iron and calcium foods.
- Remember to consume Vitamin C after every Iron or Calcium intake. As Fe and Ca do not exist in free state, Vitamin C helps release them in your intestine and aids in maximum absorption.