SWEET MANGO PICKLE USING HOMEMADE PICKLE POWDER
As promised, I am back with the Sweet Mango Pickle recipe for you. Will post the Andhra style Avakkaya recipe shortly. I have already elaborated on How to prepare Pickle powder from the scratch. I am moving on to Episode I of my Pickle making process and here is the recipe.
Preparation Time: 5 mins Cooking Time : 10 mins
Yields: 250 gms Spice level: Medium
1 Raw Mango
1tsp Mustard Seeds
50 ml of Sesame Oil
1/2 tsp of Turmeric powder
25 to 30 gms of pounded Jaggery
2 to3 small bits of Compounded Asafoetida
6 tsps of Pickle Powder ( click on the link for the recipe)
- Chop the Mangoes into small cubes. Heat sesame oil in a Kadai and fry the compounded Asafoetida. Next splutter the Mustard seeds. Once it crackles, add the chopped Mango and saute.
- Add the turmeric powder and mix well. Close the Kadai with a lid and allow the Mangoes to cook well.
- Meanwhile mix the jaggery with little water in a microwave safe bowl and heat it on high mode for 1 minute to make a thick syrup.
- Go back to your Kadai and check if the Mangoes are done by gently pressing one or two pieces with your laddle. If yes, then add the Pickle Powder cooked Mangoes and mix well. Finally add the jaggery syrup to the Pickle and cook on high flame for 2 minutes and switch off the stove.
- This pickle tastes great with Poori, Chapathi, Paratha, Idli and Dosa. It is very versatile.
- The spice level is medium. If you want more spice, just add extra one or two teaspoons of red chillie powder along with the pickle powder.
- Remember, you need not add any extra salt.